BHN extends solidarity to people seeking asylum and experiencing destitution through accommodation and creative community involvement.
We have six core values that are at the heart of what we are about:
1. Solidarity - working alongside people, not just giving aid.
2. Equality - people are people before labels.
3. Mutual Empowerment - overcoming barriers together.
4. Hospitality - creating intercultural spaces of welcome.
5. Integrity - transparency in decision and action.
6. Creative Resistance - living change imaginatively.
We estimate there are 100 destitute asylum seekers living in Bristol, caught in the loopholes of the system - unable to work and unable to claim benefits. Without an income, these individuals can't find accommodation.
We provide full board accommodation for our members in host households and in our men's hostel in Bristol, as well as opportunities in community volunteering and as part of our social enterprise, Moveable Feast.
We run a drop-in session and provide a hot meal every Monday at our Welcome Centre, offer legal advice and support, run ESOL classes, and host events. We also feel it’s important to celebrate when there are joys to be acknowledged and we enjoy some wonderful dinners and parties - often a melting pot of cultures! Look out for upcoming events via our Facebook.
BHN was formed in 2009, and became a registered incorporated charity in 2010.
Charity Number 1138498, Company Number 07308750